Friday, January 31, 2020

Getting ready for Get Out the Vote - GOTV - in New Hampshire - Dr JSM Lecture

Before moving to Florida to begin teaching at USFSP, I worked in government and politics -- including work at the White House and on several presidential campaigns.   My presidential campaign experience includes several primaries in New Hampshire.  In fact, I moved to Florida from New Hampshire, where I was working for the New Hampshire Democratic Party. I directed several statewide field organizations in NH.  For example, I hired and trained dozens of organizers, developed vote goals and turnout models for several election cycles, oversaw GOTV planning and Election Day Boiler Room operations, etc. etc.

Before we leave for New Hampshire, I want all of my students to know what to expect from their campaigns and how to be prepared for GOTV during the New Hampshire Primary.  I also want to share with them more about campaigns and elections and political traditions in New Hampshire prior to our departure.

In addition to my lectures, students are assigned several reading and writing assignments related to the New Hampshire primary (e.g., selections from Professor Dante Scala's book Stormy Weather (including the chapter on the 2000 Gore/Bradley primary).  We will be meeting with Professor Scala when we are in New Hampshire.






showing a GOTV training video - some of the technology has changed - but principles remain the same

Racing against the clock!


Classic scene from "7 Minutes to a Democratic Victory" - training video prepared by former colleagues in NH in 2002




No comments:

Post a Comment